This magic potion is guaranteed to make you feel better almost instantly!
Despite every South Asian grandmother preaching and practicing the benefits of turmeric, this magical ingredient has only recently taken over the Western world. With the emergence of the wonderful Turmeric Latte, (Or Haldi Doodh, if you’re brown lol) the benefits of this delicious South Asian remedy are more prolific than ever!
Benefits of this Golden Luster Dust
Turmeric as a miracle ingredient is no new notion. This golden powder has been heralded for hundreds of years as a remedy for all kinds of health issues. It’s healing qualities make it a staple in Ayurveda and is even used in many beauty treatments.
The benefits of this spice go far back into South Asian culture, where golden milk was used to cure almost every ailment, be it headaches, anxiety or the common cold. Many-a-sleepless night have been cured by this wondrous golden elixir.
Here are some of the many benefits:
1. It’s a natural anti-inflammatory
Inflammation is a healthy response for your body when fighting harmful invaders. But long term, this inflammation may result in even more potent conditions like heart disease and even cancer. The Curcumin in the turmeric (that gives it the distinct yellow colour) is a powerful anti-inflammatory ingredient that has been used to treat conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease.
2. It works wonders for the brain
Turmeric is a powerful tool for the brain. There is recent evidence that suggests that Curcumin may help to protect against Alzheimer’s disease. It works to reduce inflammation as well as the build-up of protein plaques in the brain that are characteristic of Alzheimer’s disease sufferers. It can also be effective as a natural anti-depressant!
4. It can rejuvenate your skin
Turmeric has been used in many beauty treatments to revitalize the skin and give it back that natural glow! There are so many natural turmeric face masks you can make to help you rejuvenate your skin. The anti-inflammatory qualities can target your pores and calm the skin. Studies have also found that turmeric can positively affect tissue and collagen as well.
The Magic of the Turmeric Latte
Last January (before Corona was even a thing) I found myself feeling super run down and super bunged up.
As someone with an overactive immune system, I’ve hardly ever been afflicted with the ominous common cold. So, you can imagine why I was stumped when I got the dreaded lurgy.
A whole 3 days, I was feeling completely under the weather…that was until this magic elixir was revealed to me by my aunt.
Now, when more and more people are conscious about their health and any symptoms they may have developed, this preventative and soothing concoction is sure to make you feel at ease.
This turmeric latte recipe has helped me with congestion, body ache and even insomnia…pure magic!
- Start by boiling 2 cups of milk of your choice on medium heat. I’m using skimmed milk, but plant-based milk tastes just a great!
- Next add the turmeric, and stir to avoid clumping. Enjoy watching your milk become a luxurious golden colour!
- Next add the ginger powder or fresh ginger to the milk and keep stirring.
- Add the cardamom, clove and cinnamon stick – These fragrant spices will create a delicious chai like warmth that can fix any sore throat! And cinnamon is a great natural anti-inflammatory ingredient as well.
- It sounds strange, but add just a dash of black pepper. This allows the body to better absorb the curcumin from the turmeric.
- Last ingredient, add a squeeze of honey, agave nectar or sugar to add a delicious hint of sweetness. Personally, I think honey most compliments the spiced undertones.
- Simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes. Keep stirring or whisking to make it nice and frothy!
- When the flavours are fully infused, pour it out and drink it up!
Go on, grab a cosy mug and give it a try! So delicious and so addictive!